A new Pokémon GO feature has been datamined, and it actually sounds like Niantic is doing something good!
The new feature, first appearing on AeonLucid’s Pogoprotos and later explained by PokémonGOHub, basically will allow the few players that are left to designate a Pokémon to be their “buddy.” What this does is allows the Pokémon to walk with the player and earn candies with the amount of distance walked. This gets rid of the necessity to catch a bunch of duplicate Pokémon to get candies, which sucked, and seems like the beginning of what could become a better training system for the pocket monsters.
Here’s a complete breakdown:
- Pokemon Buddy System is using the same server side distance calculation as the one used for Pokemon Eggs
- Walking your Pokemon Buddy will award you with candy. The amount of candy is yet to be determined.
- You can walk the same Pokemon Buddy multiple times, but there is likely a daily limitfor obtained candy
- You can walk with only one Buddy Pokemon at a time
- There are various looks of Buddy Pokemon
- Medium size
- Big size
- Flying next to you
- Rests on your shoulder
All of this is already in the code, meaning that the feature could be coming as early as the very next update, especially considering that it reuses much of the code that is used for egg hatching, which already kind of works somewhat.
This is definitely a good feature, and a good start at getting back on track to make Pokémon GO a good and popular game again, provided that Niantic hasn’t already screwed up and lost the trust of too many players.