Even though the revamped version of the classic RTS was released months ago, Gearbox hasn’t quite finished with Homeworld yet. Today sees another major update to the game, coinciding with a DRM-free launch on GOG.com (and that coincides with a hefty discount).
If you’ve already got the game, you’re probably more interested in the latest update, which impacts gamers on all platforms. Highlights include:
- Reworked Formations logic allows players to deploy groups of ships with more control and granularity than ever before. Formations are now far more flexible, smarter, and reactive to the types of ships a player assigns to them.
- Ballistic flight behavior for projectiles enhances how combat feels and looks; rounds fired can overshoot and hit unintended or tightly grouped targets.
- Target acquisition logic has been enhanced to take speed and grouping into account; stationary units are now much more vulnerable.
- Tactical options have been added in addition to Formations which expand the degree of control a player has immensely. Ships designated as Offensive, Neutral or Evasive have distinct behaviors both alone and in groups.
- Balance in both SP and MP has been rebuilt from the ground up, bringing with it many bug fixes and additional features.
- More than 6 months of intense effort resulting in dozens of bug fixes, graphical enhancements, and performance improvements.
- New design systems, controls, and features that expand the options available to Mod authors by an order of magnitude. Long-requested gameplay features are now trivial instead of hacks; many systems have options and features developed explicitly for Mod authors.
If you don’t have it yet, you can save 30% off Homeworld: Remastered Collection if you buy it quickly. That will net you both the classic and remastered editions of Homeworld and Homeworld 2, plus a copy of the original soundtrack in both FLAC and MP3. The GOG.com edition will also include support for the GOG Galaxy client, which brings its own achievements and multiplayer to the party.
This is another example of fans being rewarded: Homeworld: Remastered Collection has been one of the most-requested games on GOG.com, with more than 50,000 votes on the community wishlist. Here’s hoping those 50,000 people snap up copies of the game and encourage Gearbox (and GOG.com) to continue supporting great RTS!