2016 has just gotten a little more strategic, as 2K and Firaxis team up once again to bring us an all-new just-one-more-turn – Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, set for release in October. Shaking off the space exploration of Beyond Earth, Civ6 is returning to its roots, promising new ways to do the things you love the most: Interact with the world, expand your empire, advance your culture, and compete (or cooperate) with some of history’s greatest leaders.
Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K explains:
Sid Meier’s Civilization games hold a reputation for defining the 4X gaming genre for the past 25 years. We can’t think of a better way to celebrate the silver anniversary of our longest-running franchise than launching the eagerly anticipated Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, which will provide the most detailed, beautiful and complete experience ever featured in a Civilization game.
Just in case you didn’t realise just how big Civilization really is: The franchise has sold-in more than 34 million units around the world, and is credited with taking the strategy genre to “unparalleled heights”.
Here’s how Civ6 will continue that tradition:
- EXPANSIVE EMPIRES: See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain;
- ACTIVE RESEARCH: Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures;
- DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY: Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations;
- COMBINED ARMS: Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units;
- ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER: In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session;
- A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS: Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems are designed to introduce new players to the underlying concepts of Civilization so they can easily get started on a path to victory.
Ed Beach, lead designer at Firaxis Games explains:
Sid Meier’s Civilization VI builds on the firm foundation of the Civilization franchise, and we’ve added many exciting new elements. The visual presentation of the game is inspired by the maps and tools of the Age of Exploration, and we’ve made several key gameplay changes such as expansive cities and active research that makes Sid Meier’s Civilization VI an entirely unique experience while remaining true to what makes the Civilization series so special.
Because we know you’re already frothing at the mouth in anticipation of this release, we’ve got some good news. No, you can’t play it just yet, but you can pre-order your copy on Windows PC right now, which means when the game hits on October 21, 2016, you’ll be good to go. Pick up the standard edition or the Civilization VI Digital Deluxe Edition, which includes the base game, the 25th Anniversary Digital Soundtrack, and four DLC packs which will add new leaders, civilizations, scenarios and maps.
…or you could wait. Patiently. For October. It’s only five months away… *twitch*