It could just be because I’d already run out of popcorn, but the green Portion Bread Rey was eating in Star Wars: The Force Awakens looked pretty darn delicious. I thought it was a savoury treat, but according to Lucasfilm, it’s not only slightly sweet and vanilla-y, but it’s very easy to make here on Earth. You don’t even need to spend a day scavenging to get your share!
The bread, which uses matcha (green tea) powder for the green colour, uses a small handful of kitchen staples and can be made in less than a minute. All you need is a cup and a microwave!
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons cake flour
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the oil in a mug and swirl around to grease the inside.
- Add the cake flour, sugar, matcha powder, baking powder and salt into the mug, stirring together.
- Pour in the milk and vanilla, then cook in the microwave on high for 45 seconds.
- Let cool slightly and serve.
Obviously, we need to add liquid and heat, rather than the instant just-add-water variety Rey is given on Jakku, but it sounds good enough to me! I’ll report back after I find my matcha powder stash – can’t have green portion bread without it!