Even though we’ve not talked about it for a while, Star Citizen is still very much a thing, and Alpha 2.0 is available right now for all backers to play. It almost feels like you might be in the minority if you haven’t backed this game – funding’s currently nudging the US$100 million milestone, with no signs of stopping.
There are more than one million “citizens” lurking around in-game these days, bunched together in 32 thousand fan-created organisations (the largest one boasting more than 11,000 members). If you haven’t checked it out yet, now might be a good time to try. Check this out!
Alpha 2.0 is the biggest update to Star Citizen yet, and brings with it large world maps, seamless first-person combat (!), new missions, multi-crewed ships and much more. Here’s just a taste of the ridiculously complex changelog
- EVA (Extra Vehicular Activity) – drift out of your ship’s airlock and venture into the void of space and back
- 20+ random encounters – combat and exploration (lost wrecks and abandoned space stations)
- Quantum travel – travel in ships through the vastness of space at 0.2 the speed of light
- New flyable ships including the Constellation, the Retaliator and the Vanguard.
- Large world tech – explore extremely large expanses of space seamlessly, without loading screens
- One planet (Crusader)
- Three moons
- Three distinct space stations
- One repair/restock station
- Nine comm arrays: Wreckage to scavenge and never-ending battles in the Yela asteroid belt; more
For more information on how to get amongst all this cool stuff, head to Roberts Space Industries and sign up, download, and drift off. See you in space!