That mysterious countdown has ticked over to zero, revealing Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, the next game in the ongoing fantasy saga. It’s officially a shiny new (humungous!) expansion to Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, bringing more than 25 hours of additional content to the already super-shiny release.
The team explains:
When Beamdog made Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, we brought the classic roleplaying game back to life in a modern way. We continued enhancing Infinity Engine games but we wanted to do more for the fans who loved these games as much as we did. We wanted to contribute an original expansion to the Bhaalspawn saga, designed and created in-house from the ground up. In 2014 we got the green light to begin work on the Siege of Dragonspear expansion to Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition.
Formerly known as Adventure Y, Siege of Dragonspear fits neatly between the storylines of 1998’s original Baldur’s Gate and the 2000 sequel Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn, but brings the polished-up aesthetics, updated UI, and gameplay fixes of the two Enhanced Editions Beamdog has released over the past couple of years.
You can expect new recruitable companions (plus returning classic characters), an all new class (the Shaman), custom magic items and a more friendly redesigned user interface. Plus, you can jump into cross-platform co-operative multiplayer mode with up to six players!
Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear features:
- An enormous expansion to Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition containing new areas, monsters, and treasures
- A sharp and subtle adventure pitting you against an enigmatic new foe
- Vibrant new hand-painted areas of the Sword Coast
- Continue the story by exporting your character to Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition
- New player soundsets that allow you to customize your hero
- The original cast returning to kick butt for goodness – along with four new additions!
- Updated user interface and improved Infinity Engine features 25 hours of gameplay
- New items, quests, and a new class: the spirit-calling shaman!
- Original soundtrack by Mass Effect composer Sam Hulick
- Functional, extensively tested cross-platform multiplayer on all supported platforms
- “Story Mode” difficulty setting to allow players to experience the entire story with none of the Game Over screens
(We’re also very happy to confirm that those romance options from Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition will also be continued in the new expansion. Y’know, in case you were wondering.)
The last year and a half has been filled with indescribable highs (like hearing Misc’s voice again!!) and some pretty harsh lows that we powered through. We used the lessons learned from producing the enhanced editions to design Siege of Dragonspear. Now it’s almost ready for release and we couldn’t be happier—or prouder—to send it out into the world. We hope that fans of the Bhaalspawn saga enjoy their return to the Sword Coast.
Set for release “later in the year”, Siege of Dragonspear is headed to Windows, Mac and Linux initially, with iOS and Android releases also planned. Yes, you’ll need a copy of Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition to play – and if you’ve already got the game on your smartphone or tablet, this expansion will be offered as a handy in-app purchase.
The lack of a firm release date shouldn’t bother you, by the way: You can start preparing for Siege of Dragonspear right now, just by playing Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition. Create your character, build up your party, and get ready to return to the Sword Coast!