Remember that creepy sci-fi project we shared with you last week from 2K? At the time, we knew the game was codenamed Advent, but today the wraps have been taken off: Advent is actually XCOM 2, currently in the works at Firaxis.
XCOM 2 is a full sequel to XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which was released in 2012. Aliens are now in control of the Earth – masquerading as the Advent Administration – and XCOM has gone underground in efforts to overthrow the new rulers.
The feedback from the passionate XCOM community played an important role in the development of XCOM 2, driving us to push the visual, gameplay and replayability boundaries of what a strategy game can be. We’re thrilled to implement long-time fan requested features such as procedural levels and modding support, as well as adding more of what makes XCOM great like new aliens, enemies and soldier classes.
- There will be five new soldier classes
- Enemies will include Advent soldiers (obviously), as well as Evolved Sectoids and “snake-lady Vipers”
- Stealth makes a comeback, using cover for concealment and looting fallen bodies
- A flying aircraft carrier – the Avenger – will be a new mobile base
- Maps will be procedurally generated throughout the game
- Exclusively on PC means mods are supported from Day 1 – including official mod tools
- 1v1 multiplayer for a more intimate experience
Unfortunately, this does mean that the rumour that Ken Levine may have been involved with Advent seems to have fallen flat, but there’s still plenty to look forward to in this sequel.
…key things to pay attention to, of course: XCOM 2 is officially a PC exclusive, hitting desktop machines from November 2015. Sorry, console fans, looks like you’ll have to sit this one out.