The latest changelog is a hefty read, bringing with it new mobs including wither (and wither skeletons), witches, bats, donkeys, mules and horses – and also the ability to tame and ride those wild horses. (That answers that question, doesn’t it!)
Yes, there’s a bunch of new, kinda complicated content coming just in time for the holidays, but there’s also a nifty introduction: A Tutorial World, to teach you how to play these new features. Even better, if you’ve never played Minecraft before, this Tutorial World will teach you how to play the game.
Here’s the new items you’ll be able to work with:
- Hardened Clay
- Stained Clay
- Block of Coal
- Hay Bale
- Activator Rail
- Block of Redstone
- Daylight Sensor
- Minecart with Hopper
- Minecart with TNT
- Redstone Comparator
- Weighted Pressure Plate
- Trapped Chest
- Firework Rocket
- Firework Star
- Nether Star
- Horse Armor
- Name Tag
- Horse Spawn Egg
- Added new terrain generation features – Witch Huts.
- Replaced the Tutorial World with a new world containing some new mini-tutorials for the new functionality.
- Added Beacon interface.
- Added Horse interface.
- Added Hopper interface.
- Added Fireworks – Fireworks interface is accessible from the Crafting Table when you have the ingredients to craft a Firework Star or Firework Rocket.
- Added ‘Adventure Mode’ – You can only break blocks with the correct tools.
- Added lots of new sounds.
- Mobs, items and projectiles can now pass through portals.
- Repeaters can now be locked by powering their sides with another Repeater.
- Zombies and Skeletons can now spawn with different weapons and armor.
- New death messages.
- Name mobs with a Name Tag, and rename containers to change the title when the menu is open.
- Bonemeal no longer instantly grows everything to full size, and instead randomly grows in stages.
- A Redstone signal describing the contents of Chests, Brewing Stands, Dispensers and Jukeboxes can be detected by placing a Redstone Comparator directly against them.
- Dispensers can face in any direction.
- Eating a Golden Apple gives the player extra “absorption” health for a short period.
- The longer you remain in an area the harder the monsters that spawn in that area will be.
- New Game and Host options (Daylight Cycle, Keep Inventory, Mob options, Tile drop and a Regeneration option)
- Language Selector added, and Greek language option added.
This latest Minecraft update has happily rolled out to PlayStation platforms and both Xbox 360 and Xbox One in Europe – if you’re in North America, the PlayStation version’s still in testing, but 4J hopes it’ll be out on all platforms in all regions this week.