The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth has been out for three short weeks now, and already developer Edmund McMillen is planning an expansion for the roguelike shooter. He’ll be presenting design ideas to publisher Nicalis after the holidays, but shared some thoughts with the world a little early.
i have big plans for this expansion, i hope to add a very huge chunk of gameplay in the form of a new game mode that will almost double the amount of things you can do.
He’s also planning “a ton more enemies, bosses, new areas, endings and a new playable character as well as a slew of new unique items to play with,” but he doesn’t want to do all the hard work himself. At least 10 of the new items will come from the game’s community (that means you!), as McMillen turns to Reddit for suggestions.
A few guidelines:
- Only suggest item effects, im not at all looking for item names/themes/visuals but only effects.
-a store item that rerolls the store and has a recharge of 3.
-a tear effect that turns your tears into…
-a trinket that makes a fart sound whenever you shoot
- Do not suggest redundant items.
– an item that rerolls all items in the room with a recharge of 1
– an item like X but better.
- do not suggest overly complex items.
– an item that teleports you to the boss room but gives you one heart double damage and shows the map, but gives you 2 min to beat the boss before you die.
In the Reddit thread McMillen has set up, go upvote items you love and downvote things that don’t match the above criteria. Don’t bother emailing the developer, he won’t read them and they won’t be considered!
have fun designing! im very happy with all the new items in rebirth and what new options they give you when they combo. i have a lot of cool new items designed and am excited to see what out of the box ideas some of you might come up with that i never thought of.
We’re told the expansion for The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth should be released in 2015, but it looks like McMillen might have his work cut out for him.