In case you missed it, EA has released a brand new SimCity. It’s a mobile-only release called SimCity BuildIt, and it’s only available in certain parts of the world (including Australia and New Zealand). Yes, it’s free. Yes, there are in-app purchases. What else did you expect?
The game is pretty great-looking, we have to admit. It’s reminiscent of SimCity Social, in terms of the pay-to-play elements – fork over real-world cash for in-game currency or to speed up timers. Making this one pleasantly different to other games on the market is the fact it does not require an always-on internet connection, so you can play this one anywhere you can take your iOS device.
The game promises the usual stack of features we’ve come to expect from a city-builder:
- Build a unique city that comes to life
- Unleash natural (and not so natural) disasters
- Create and trade goods with your friends and other cities
- Balance city Services, including power and entertainment, to keep citizens happy
- Pinch, zoom, and rotate 360 degrees as you manage your city on the go – both online and offline
- Complete awesome challenges to Specialize your city
The jury’s currently out about whether this is a soft-launch version of the final game, or if we’re providing some sort of Down Under beta test for SimCity BuildIt. Either way, it doesn’t really matter. There’s a bunch of you – me included – who read “SimCity on mobile” and headed straight to the App Store. Some things never change.