More cool stuff is headed to PlayStation Vita, with Klei Entertainment confirming that Don’t Starve is hitting the handheld from September 2. The release includes first expansion Reign of Giants, as well as a pocketsized version of the original game.
The new expansion brings with it:
- New playable characters: Reign of Giants adds two characters for players to discover and survive with. Play as Wigfrid, a stage actress who went a bit too far with method acting on her latest role, an ancient Valkyrie, or Webber, a young boy who lives inside the spider who tried to eat him long ago.
- Year-round starvation: Struggle through a full year of seasons as you experience the torrential rain falls of spring and the blistering heat of summer.
- A bigger, badder world: New biomes have been filled to the brim with new creatures and gatherables that will either help you survive — or kill you.
- An extra save slot: You asked, we delivered.
- Giants: They’re in the name, for crying out loud!
The sandbox has been headed to Vita for a long time, with Klei co-founder Jamie Cheng explaining the team “had to rewrite a bunch of backend code” to make the project work.
The downside of this, of course, is that the game now does not support cross-play, so your save games are locked to their specific platforms. There is an upside though, as Cheng explains:
We love you all, so we’re making the game cross buy! If you own Don’t Starve on PS4, you get the Vita version for free, and vice versa. Thank you for supporting our game, and please spread the word so we can keep making more interesting games!
…if you can’t wait, Don’t Starve is currently available on PC and PS4, neither of which will fit in your pocket.