A brand new update is on the way for Starbound, and it foresees the end of many of your characters. First up, there’s one last character wipe before the game launches properly, but even then you’re not out of the woods: Chucklefish is also introducing Permadeath, if you want it.
The character wipe is, unfortunately, unavoidable – but this patch also introduces a fix for save files, so future patches will leave your characters (and ships!) alone. Everything is being removed this time around, including players, ships and worlds. Developer Kyren explains that in future, your characters and ships will remain untouched, but planets and worlds may still be modified in future:
The problem is that the organization of planets may change so if they go muck with a planet, how do we put it in the celestial map? Or if they build on a biome we remove, or something. So no promises, but we’ll try. But promises on the player / ship.
The upcoming patch also brings with it a lot of bug fixes, which Community manager Mollygos explains is the reason the update’s taken so long.
- New game modes! Permadeath and drop-everything-on-death modes.
- Revolvers, pulse rifles, hand grenades, shivs, Floran needlers, Floran thorn hammer
- Human guards now wear soldier uniforms
- More decorative hats! Yay, hats!
- More random encounters
- Possibly more content, if it’s finished on time!
- .ds_store issue affecting OSX 9.1 users (A bug where Finder created an invisible file called .ds_store in the player folder which caused the game to crash).
- A number of character creation/selection screen crashes related to loading corrupted save files
- An issue that could prevent the launcher from starting (MSVCRT.dll)
- DirectX crash bug (303 bug)
- Several memory leaks, including the slow-but-significant server memory leak a lot of people were experiencing and GUI memory leak
- Fixed a crash bug related to GUI controls
- Reduced memory load of FTL animation
- .abc files with comments no longer crash the game, plus various .abc fixes as far as key signatures/timing
- A number of issues with players spawning underground
- A bug where players spawned outside the ship if they’d previously saved the game while in the Captain’s Chair
- Right shift key was not working as a shift key, now it is
- An issue tech slots were unusable under certain conditions
- Wiring system fixes– wires are rendered below UI elements, wires no longer break when crossed into an unloaded sector
- Added image metadata caching, improved assets caching
- Added a jeep mech that was supposed to have been in the last patch, but had mysteriously gone missing!
- Object flipping issues
- Sped up the crafting window
- Fixed a sound issue that occurred after many concurrent weapon hits
- Characters no longer blink while sleeping in beds
- Assorted minor performance improvements
The update is due out in the next week or so (we’ll keep you posted) – in the meantime, you can either check in to your beloved characters one last time, or perhaps plot your approach for the clean Starbound slate you’ll have real soon now.