PS4 exclusive Killzone: Shadow Fall is taking a different approach to DLC. Developer Guerrilla Games has confirmed that all post-launch DLC multiplayer maps will be free to all players. Not free for some, not free-after-a-period, but free. From the start. Nice.
The move has been made to ensure that all Killzone players are on the same playing field (literally), and to avoid fracturing the fanbase.
That’s not to say there won’t be paid DLC for the game – later you’ll be able to pick up expansion packs with new gameplay and customisation features, but in terms of maps? Everyone’s got the same.
Guerrilla Community Editor Victor Zuylen made the announcement as part of a veritable infodump of multiplayer details on the official Killzone blog. As well as the map info, he’s got information on:
- Player mechanics (“Most of the player mechanics available in the single-player campaign are now also available in multiplayer”)
- Weaponry (22 different weapons, all unlocked from the start)
- Attachments (there are 19 – including new ammo types and enhanced scopes, but you’ll have to unlock them)
- Classes and Abilities (three classes, 12 unique special abilities – you can use up to two per character)
- Custom warzones (now with “supercharged customisation features”)
- …and temporary Combat Honours
Would you like to know more? Head to the blog!
Killzone: Shadow Fall is a PlayStation 4 launch title, hitting the ground alongside the new console, on November 15th in the US and November 29th in Europe, Australia and New Zealand.