Rockstar Games has detailed the Collector’s Edition and Special Edition of Grand Theft Auto V – and both are packed with some pretty sweet little goodies. In addition to physical objects like a Los Santos cap, a blueprint map, and even a blimp for pre-order customers, the developers have tucked away a very interesting in-game bonus for fans prepared to pay up.
To start things off, we have the Special Edition:
- Collectible SteelBook with Exclusive Artwork: This special SteelBook features double-sided, never-before-seen artwork of Michael, Trevor and Franklin. Custom color and metallic treatments bring out the detail of the artwork created exclusively for this SteelBook.
- Blueprint Map: This exclusive, additional 21.5″ x 26.75″ map displays a blueprint view of Los Santos and Blaine County. Cryptic markings indicate locations for fast cash and other points of interest for the up-and-coming entrepreneur.
- Special Ability Boost: Michael, Franklin and Trevor each have a unique special ability. With this boost, the special ability bar will generate 25% faster.
- Stunt Plane Trials: Single player Stunt Plane Trials let you take on additional aerial challenges spread throughout Los Santos and Blaine County.
- Bonus Outfits, Tattoos and More: Michael, Franklin and Trevor get bonus outfits in their wardrobes, character specific tattoos at tattoo parlors, and special deals from shopkeepers across Los Santos and Blaine County.
- Additional Weapons: When visiting Ammunition stores in single player, merchants will have special weapons in their inventory available for free: the Pistol .50, Bullpup Shotgun and melee Hammer.
That’s not enough for you? Well, there’s also the Collector’s Edition of Grand Theft Auto V, which features everything in the Special Edition, plus:
- Grand Theft Auto 5 Security Deposit Bag with Logo Key: Inspired by the heists in Grand Theft Auto V, this custom 10.75″ x 8.5″ money bag features a pop-up style lock and laser cut logo key to secure important items. The reverse side features a pressed Rockstar Games logo on the security mount with a framed ID window.
- Grand Theft Auto 5 New Era 9FIFTY Snapback Cap: This exclusive New Era 9FIFTY cap features an embroidered Los Santos logo on the front, a stitched, black Rockstar Games logo on the wearer’s left side, a Grand Theft Auto ‘V’ logo applique on the opposite side, and snapback closure for an adjustable fit.
- Custom Characters for Grand Theft Auto Online: Get classic Grand Theft Auto characters to use within the Grand Theft Auto Online Character Creation System.
- Unique Vehicles and Garage Property: Players will instantly receive a garage to store custom vehicles. In single player, the garage will be stocked with the 1930’s style Hotknife hotrod and the CarbonRS sports bike. In Grand Theft Auto Online, players will get the high-end Khamelion electric car.
The most interesting part of this whole list is tucked away in the middle of that Special Edition there: Custom Characters for Grand Theft Auto Online. This doesn’t (just) mean a bunch of new people you can pick from when deciding who you want to play. Instead, Grand Theft Auto Online uses a special character editor based on “DNA”.
Rather than specifically choosing your preferred face, you can pick out your parents’ heritage, and then tweak which side of your family you more closely resemble.
…way to keep it in the family, guys! Grand Theft Auto V kicks off on September 17th, with Grand Theft Auto Online following as a title update in early October.