‘Tis the season to make big reveals, it seems: 2K made good on its promise of more XCOM at Gamescom, with the announcement of XCOM: Enemy Within. The new expansion pack is in development at Firaxis, and is headed our way on PC, Mac and current-gen consoles.
Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K explains:
The incredible critical and consumer response to XCOM: Enemy Unknown inspired us to offer new content that would deepen the strong bond that has been created for our XCOM brand. Firaxis Games is renowned for delivering massive, highly immersive PC expansions in the Civilization series, and XCOM: Enemy Within builds on that lineage and expands the experience for console gamers as well.
There’s so much new stuff here that it’ll take you “an additional three to four playthroughs” to actually find all of it, says 2K.
Key features for XCOM: Enemy Within will include:
- New Soldier Abilities: Research a new alien technology to advance the capabilities of operatives:
- Gene Mods: Construct the Genetics Lab to physically enhance operatives’ abilities, including augmentations to the chest, brain, eyes, skin and legs.
- MECs: Build the Cybernetics Lab to enable the construction of the new Mechanized Exoskeletal Cybersuit, or MEC. The new MEC Trooper class has specialized abilities and each suit can be upgraded with new weapons including the flamethrower, grenade launcher and more.
- New Weapons and Equipment: Give operatives an extra tactical edge with new projects from the engineering team in the Foundry;
- New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from a host of new enemies, including the Mechtoid;
- New Strategic Resource: A valuable new alien resource, known as Meld, has been discovered. Secure it on the battlefield and use it carefully back at base to unlock new research and upgrades;
- New Tactical Challenges and Maps: Face new tactical challenges, on nearly 50% more maps;
- New Multiplayer Maps, Units and Abilities: Create custom squad from a wider array of options and dominate opponents in intense, one-on-one, turn-based matches.
…so. Enemy Unknown came out on PC last year, but Enemy Within is also headed to consoles: The solution is the Commander Edition, as Ananda Gupta, lead designer at Firaxis continues:
We promised gamers that we would deliver the same Enemy Unknown experience on both PC and console last fall, and we’re doing it again with Enemy Within. The Commander Edition of XCOM: Enemy Within expands the already amazing XCOM experience for our console fans who are looking forward to even more of the game they love. It’s also a great point of entry for new fans just joining the XCOM fight.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown is headed to PC, Mac, Xbox 360 and PS3 in mid-November, stay tuned for more details!