Did you know that L. Frank Baum actually wrote 14 books set in or around the world of Oz? There’s more to this series than just Dorothy and the Wizard – and Spicy Horse would like your help to explore it. The studio’s just launched a brand new crowd-funding project for OZombie, a narrative-driven action-adventure set in a universe inspired by each of Baum’s thoroughly imaginative books.
Promising to be “first and foremost” a singleplayer game, OZombie puts you into Dorothy’s ruby slippers. Your task involves persuading many familiar characters to join your hunting party… but quite what you’ll be hunting remains to be seen.
Those familiar characters will include the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion, but not the Scarecrow – in Spicy Horse‘s world, the man without a brain now leads a team of demented minions in the ruined world of Oz.
- Feature a variety of perspectives and game modes with an emphasis on role-playing, tactical combat, exploration and story telling.
- Be developed using Unity 3D technology
- Be delivered to most platforms Unity3D can target, but initially launch on Linux, Mac, PC (Windows) and latest-gen tablets.
- Be localized for play world-wide (EFIGS and more).
- Support offline single-player mode, though you’ll need to complete a one-time online registration when you first start.
- Contain NO form of DRM.
While inspired by Baum, our Oz will be a non-conformist version, distinct from both his original, and ALL subsequent adaptations (including American’s Oz project, which Atari killed nearly a decade ago). Honoring Baum’s sublime vision, Oz is a real place, rather than a young girl’s dream. That idea was an MGM invention.
Our Oz is mystical, filled with magic, enchantment, and a vast collection of unique “Ozite” artifacts. It also contains adapted and evolved hardware imported by visitors from other lands, usually represented in a style called “steampunk,” which has its own particular look and feel.
We’re still in negotiations. The box is important.