Klei Entertainment has revealed plans for a Special Edition of Mark of the Ninja, bowing to fan requests. Designed as a bit of a “director’s cut” of the original game, you’ll get a whole bunch of developer commentary thrown in as well as a new level, new non-lethal play style and some new items.
Developers found themselves facing an unusual problem. Mark of the Ninja was “very intentionally” built to be a complete experience, with both its mechanics and narrative tied up neatly at the end of the game.
…but the customer is always right, so Mark of the Ninja Special Edition was born!
- A new level, set in a flashback to the early life of Dosan (the ninja’s tattoo artist) that will set the stage for the events that transpire in Mark of the Ninja.
- A new style of play, which includes a nonlethal takedown ability, and provides a hybrid of lethal and nonlethal approaches to the game.
- Two new items, one more geared to stealth and concealment and one a bit more direct. Both the items and the new play style will be available in the main game as well as the new level. (more details at a later date).
- Finally, we’ve added a ton of developer commentary to the main game. All the original levels will feature a number of commentary nodes that discuss various aspects of the game’s creation, anecdotes, at least two history lessons and other behind the scenes info from nearly everyone on the team.
- Developer commentary has been fully localized for English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Japanese. (Which our amazing community has helped us to translate)
The game itself has (largely) not changed, but that’s no reason to pick it up and give it another whirl (remember why you loved it in the first place?). Think of it like a director’s commentary edition of one of your favourite films, giving you an opportunity to revisit a great title with new challenges and insights thrown in.
No confirmed date or price for this one yet, but keep an eye out for Mark of the Ninja Special Edition on both Xbox Live Arcade and Steam.