If you blinked, you might have missed it. Torment: Tides of Numenera has smashed through all sorts of crowdfunding records, reaching its goal – and the $1million mark – in just over six hours.
So what’s all the fuss about? Tides of Numenera is a story-driven CRPG, set in the world of Monte Cook’s Numenera. It continues the “thematic legacy” of Planescape: Torment – the 1999 title considered by many to be the high-point of computer RPGs. This new game looks to scratch the itch gamers have suffered from for more than a decade – creating a rich role-playing experience packed with “deep, personal themes”.
- Torment is a single-player, isometric role-playing game.
- You will play a single, specific character, though you will encounter optional NPC companions you may choose to include in your party.
- The story-driven game will have a rich dialogue system and approach similar to that of Planescape: Torment.
- The game will be developed in the Unity engine for PC (Windows), Mac, and Linux platforms.
- The game will be available in English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish.
- The game will be distributed DRM-free. (You’ll be able to get it from Steam, and other DRM-free download options will be made available.)
Developer inXile writes:
Our heads are still spinning at the incredible response we have had from today’s support of our Kickstarter campaign. We had plans to roll out our stretch goals and to write our Kickstarter updates but never in our wildest dreams did we think we would fund this quickly.
Working in the developer’s favour is the fact that inXile has gone down this road before. The studio’s previous Kickstarter project, Wasteland 2 raised almost $3million from 60,000 backers. Slight drawback – we haven’t heard much about the game after it was crowdfunded last March, but it is slated for release some time before 2014.
Previous record-holder was the Android-based OUYA console, which took eight hours and 22 minutes to reach the $1million point, ending up with more than $8.5 million from more than 60,000 pledges.
The original goal for Torment: Tides of Numenera was a seemingly-ambitious US$900,000. At time of writing, more than 25,000 fans have pledged US$1.3 million, reaching stretch goal milestones before they have even been announced. There are still 29 days to go before the funding deadline.
If you’d like to contribute: Go pledge! …there’s a whole range of tier rewards available, including a bunch of very cool limited edition stuff.