All the fun and excitement of Halo 4 is less than two weeks away, and Microsoft and 343 Industries have just revealed their plans to keep the good stuff coming for a long time after launch, with the shiny new War Games Map Pass announced, accompanied by the super-shiny gameplay launch trailer for Halo 4.
The Halo 4 War Games Map Pass will retail for 2,000 MS Points, and will provide you with the three War Games map packs, set for release in December, February and April. It’s a saving of over 15% compared with buying each pack separately, and if you snag a Map Pass, you’ll also get two in-game helmets and a unique in-game emblem.
So what’s in store? Here’s the list – complete with tentative release dates:
Crimson Map Pack (December release timeframe)
- Maps: Wreckage, Harvest, Shatter
- Description: Witness the chaos of a clash of civilisations in Wreckage, with its blend of claustrophobic spaces and dangerous exposures and venture into the human colony environs of Harvest, and explore a human foray on an alien moon in Shatter.
Majestic Map Pack (February release timeframe)
- Maps: Landfall, Monolith, Skyline
- Description: Landfall’s emphasis is on infantry battles against a glittering ocean on a distant world, while Monolith exposes you to the naked vacuum of space – and the firepower of opposing teams, and Skyline’s distinctly industrial feel provides new challenges in somewhat familiar, but occasionally confined spaces.
Castle Map Pack (April release timeframe)
- Maps: Daybreak, Outcast, Perdition
- Description: Daybreak is set in a military facility against the backdrop of an idyllic mountain range, while Outcast plunges you into the warrens, canyons and arches of an alien edifice, and Perdition takes players into the heart of an urban sprawl, with tactical speed and situational awareness its key features.
If you’ve already put your money down for a Halo 4 Limited Edition, you don’t need to pay attention to all of this – you’re getting it anyway, with the Map Pass included with your other goodies.
Halo 4 is launching on November 6th 2012, exclusively for Xbox 360.