Alien Arena has been in development – in one form or another – for more than eight years now. From humble beginnings as a mod for the original Quake, the game has since shifted gears completely to now be a standalone, free-to-play deathmatch FPS.
These days, with its revamped artwork, re-written renderer (using the CRX engine loosely based on id Tech 2) and awesome extra-terrestrial enemies, Alien Arena is a force to be reckoned with – and in these dying days of 2011, it’s been given a fresh lick of paint and a shiny new update to v7.53.
Alien Arena Major 7.53 features:
- Extended use of VBO for signifigant performance increases on high settings.
- A number of bot AI changes to improve navigation, combat and more human like behavior.
- Added a number of video resolutions.
- “Dm Lights” server option.
- Menu changes to make things behave more consistently and intuitively.
- When entering join server menu, servers only refreshed on first entry, unless refresh button is pressed.
- Entity def files to allow maps to have multiple game types and configurations.
- Chaingun behavior smoothed out.
- Grass/vegetation rendering visually improved, and optimized.
- CTF scoring improvements.
- Smarter precaching.
- Speed hack detection improvements.
- Fixed account bugs.
- Optimizations for IQM and MD2 rendering.
- Stats math refactoring.
- New maps – TCA-Invasion, CTF-Zion2k9
- New violator sounds, skin, and effects.
- Added “ultra” skill level to single player mode.
- Added sun object control to scripts.
tl;dr? You’re looking at two new maps, custom map reconfiguration, tweaks to bot AI, and if you like running your games with all the settings maxed out, you’re in luck.