Once again, it is that time of year where all the awards come out. Spike Video Game Awards has kicked off this season in California over the weekend. Filled with awards, developers, celebrities and exclusives, it was a jam packed show.
A few teaser trailers were released for a couple of upcoming new IPs. EPIC Games announced Fortnite, which looks like a cartoon-style survival horror, showing characters building forts to defend off the attackers of the night. While Naughty Dog took the time to show off The Last of Us – another survival horror genre set in a modern, overgrown city. What is in store for both these games, we will just have to wait and find out.
But with every awards show – there is winners and there is losers. Portal 2 and Batman: Arkham City took out multiple awards – while Bastion showed that even smaller titles can still take out some of the bigger awards. At the end of the day there was only one winner, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Bethesda’s latest title not only took out the Game of the Year but scored the developer the Studio of the Year award as well.
This year also saw the first ever Hall of Fame Award at the VGA. This award recognises franchises throughout video game history that have made an impact, changed the way we think and brought the video game industry to where it is today. This went to The Legend of Zelda and is quite fitting for it’s 25th anniversary year and the release of Skyward Sword.
A full list of the categories and winners can be found below – if you want to check out the nominations and winners, head on over to Spike TV VGA 2011 website
Spike Video Game Award Winners
- Game of the Year – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Studio of the Year – Bethesda Game Studios
- Video Game Hall of Fame Award – The Legend of Zelda
- Gamer God Award – Blizzard Entertainment
- Best Xbox 360 Game – Batman: Arkham City
- Best PS3 Game – Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception
- Best Wii Game – The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
- Best PC Game – Portal 2
- Best Handheld/Mobile Game – Super Mario 3D Land
- Best Shooter – Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
- Best Action Adventure Game – Batman: Arkham City
- Best RPG – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Best Multiplayer – Portal 2
- Best Individual Sports Game – Fight Night Champion
- Best Team Sports Games – NBA 2K12
- Best Driving Game – Forza Motorsport 4
- Best Fighting Games – Mortal Kombat
- Best Motion Game – The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
- Best Independent Game – Minecraft
- Best Adapted Video Game – Batman: Arkham City
- Best Song In A Game – “Build That Wall (Zia’s Theme)” by Darren Korb from Bastion
- Best Original Score – Bastion
- Best Graphics – Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception
- Best Performance By A Human Male – Stephen Merchant as Wheatley from Portal 2
- Best Performance By A Human Female – Ellen McLain as GLaDOS from Portal 2
- Best Downloadable Game – Bastion
- Best DLC – Portal 2: Peer ReviewViewer Voted Awards
- NFL Blitz Cover Vote – Ray Rice
- Character Of The Year – The Joker from Batman: Arkham City
- Most Anticipated Game – Mass Effect 3
- GameTrailers.com Trailer Of The Year – Assassin’s Creed: Revelations (E3 2011 Trailer)
Did your game of the year get nominated? Did you also think it was strange that the exclusives couldn’t beat a multi-platform title for best Xbox 360 game? Was there a stand out that you thought was completely missed? Let us know in the forums!