You can’t make this stuff up. Last week, we learned that a “huge” asteroid is headed towards Earth some time on Tuesday night. It’ll pass by us (and the moon) quite safely, and will be too dim to be spotted by the naked eye. Bit of a non-event then really, unless you’re a stargazer and quicker than the Hubble Telescope.
Something that looks like it could be a somewhat bigger deal is also headed this way, apparently on a collision course with the App Store. “Scientists” at Atari have announced that the organisation is preparing to launch the top-secret fighter spaceship “Gunner” in an attempt to avert catastrophe.
The Gunner spaceship has been in production since 1979, and has received multiple “state-of-the-art” upgrades since that date. Now, it’s headed to iPhone, iPod touch and iPad to once again save humanity in Asteroids: Gunner.
So that’s enough of that. It’s a video game, and we’re a little bit cheesy.
The guts of it’s pretty decent, though. Atari is currently working on an iOS adaptation of its uber-popular Asteroids game. And it’s taken a few giant leaps since the game you may have played back in 1979.
- Three all-new galaxies to explore and conquer, with 150 waves of asteroids and alien warships to obliterate
- Dual-stick controls for firing and movement, perfect for non-stop blasting action
- Access to three unique space crafts to pilot: the Miner, the Bomber and the Dart
- Legions of power-ups and upgrades to customize your ship and turn it into an unstoppable force
- Earn Crystals and purchase Space Bucks to unlock new galaxies and powerful upgrades
- An extensive achievement system that lets you earn ranks… and bragging rights
- OpenFeint and Game Center integration
More Asteroids: Gunner details are yet to be released, but – all humans with an iOS device are being called upon. “Stand united in the ultimate fight to save Earth!” cry the Atari “scientists”. Stay tuned.