Yesterday, we looked at what would be included in the Day One patch for Dead Island, and now that the clock’s ticked over, we’ve got the full and complete changelog, as well as a startling revelation from Techland.
We deeply regret that an incorrect version of Dead Island was inadvertently made available to players on Steam launch in North America. We are very sorry for any issues you may have experienced while playing the game—the correct, patched version will be made available to North American players ASAP. Other territories are not affected by this situation, the fully patched game will be available on Friday as announced.
…no, seriously. Developer Techlandaccidentally published the wrong version of the game, which included fun things like the ability to fly through walls and around the game world, and turn off clipping with the touch of a button.
Fortunately, all of this can be fixed with one simple (though hefty) patch – which we’ve detailed here. There’s a downside, though. As much as Techland have tried to avoid it, the update may actually wipe your saved games created with the “incorrect” version of Dead Island.
If you do find yourself affected, the devs offer the following solution, which should regain some quest progress:
When the game opens, select New Game -> Select the same character as you were using before, and then there will be an option for “Chapter Select” which will allow the player to jump to the last chapter they were playing in.
And there you have it.
Here’s the full changelog for the Day One Dead Island patch, which will give you an idea of just how badly the PC version of the game was broken from the get-go. Hopefully, these tweaks will tidy things up just a little bit!
Dead Island Patch Notes
Multiplayer and Matchmaking improvements
- Maps are now correctly synchronized when player joins during map loading
- Games now filter correctly in lobby
- After joining a coop game enemies now spawn correctly
User guidance improved. (Quest guidance, UI, shop)
Additional Interface polishing
- Map tracking now works correctly after loading checkpoints
- Health and stamina bars of enemies now display correctly in coop.
- Locations of invisible NPCs are no longer shown
- More than one player can now use the same ladder simultaneously
- Focus on items in shops is not changing after operation (sell, buy)
- Additional Interface polishing
- Fixed displaying gather rings near some door
Player death behavior improved
- Respawn position now saved when playing in cooperative mode
- If player dies whilst inside vehicle, menu will now be hidden
Save game mechanics extended
- Added distinction between quest checkpoints and other saves
Minor animation fixes
- AI animation now displays correctly after fast travel or travel through portals
- Improved enemy awareness (zombies)
- Enemies reaction to fire adapted
- Enemies are now able to successfully reach player on some arenas
- Shooting enemies no longer spawn infinitely
Balancing changes in difficulty
- Item level will be calculated correctly when playing in second playthrough
- Kick interrupting reload now adapted; after clip is inserted reload is treated as successful
- Health regeneration is now disabled during grab.
- More HP for all escorted NPCs
- Removed all instances of Butcher during escorts
- Purna can gain bonus rage from both “Grim Inspiration” and “Inspiring Kick”
- Only “Walker” type enemies increase the extra XP of the “Combo” skill from Xian’s Survival skill tree
Pause Option added
- Added information about players requesting pause (Co-op)
Looting rules improved
- Thrown items now cannot be picked up by another player for 5 minutes.
- Items from just-opened containers cannot be picked up by another player for 5 seconds.
Minor graphical glitches fixed.
- Rectified occasional graphical glitch with NPC’s hands bending awkwardly
- Animations now display correctly when trading
- Stomper animation now displays correctly when same target is hit by another player
Sound bugs fixed
- Volume of pickup’s engine has been increased
Quest bugs removed
- All side quests in Laboratory can now be successfully completed
- Potential walkthrough blocker removed when quest “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” is completed before talking to Dominik during “On the air” quest
We’re assuming that the “fully patched” version referred to is implying that the rest-of-the-world edition of Dead Island will come with the Day One update already installed, but don’t quote us on that.
playerattack News is a once-a-week wrap up of the biggest news to hit the pages of playerattack. If you’d like to subscribe, you can do that via RSS feed, through iTunes, or if you’d prefer, subscribe to our YouTube channel.