Looks like 2011 will mark the start of the return of the classic FPS – Bohemia Interactive has just announced that it is hard at work on Arma 3, the latest instalment in its collection of “realistic military simulators”.
Promising a unique sandbox-style military gameplay experience, Arma 3 has scrapped the unusual capitalisation of its predecessors, but continues the tradition they set. Expect the most detailed environment of the series, plus radical engine improvements, when this one launches in mid-2012, excusively for PC.
SURVIVE in the rich & authentic environment
ADAPT to the unsurpassed experience of modern ground combat
WIN the open-ended & story-driven campaign
NATO has been facing years of intense warfare from the East – and Europe has become the last stand. Desperate times call for desperate measures as they say, and NATO is on the brink of being driven into the sea. Enter: Operation Magnitude, in the hope that a well-guarded military secret will be seized. Special Forces and Researchers have been sent to a Mediterranean island, well behind enemy lines… but (of course!), the mission has been compromised! Task force destroyed! Captain SCott Miller is washed ashore upon this hostile island – where he must face the dangers of modern warfare alone. The environment is unforgiving, and – perhaps most frightening of all – he has to face up to his life’s decisions.
[img_big]center,7968,2011-05-19/Arma3_screenshot_08.jpg,He’s coming right for us![/img_big]
Key features you can expect in Arma 3:
- Single-Player Campaign – Evolve from a lone prey into a military commander in the open-ended & story-driven campaign.
- Vehicles & Weapons – Control a multitude of aircraft, vehicles and ships with accurate simulation; shoot anything from pistols to sophisticated weapon platforms.
- Physical Simulation & Improved Animations – Take advantage of PhysXT supported vehicle simulation, in-game interactions and the revamped animation system.
- Rich & Authentic Environment – Explore an unsurpassed military combat experience set on an authentic Mediterranean island modelled from real geographic data.
- Multiplayer Gameplay – Experience both cooperative & competitive scenarios with the full support of dedicated servers for both Windows and Linux.
- Completely Extensible & Moddable – Design & create countless customizable scenarios using the intuitive & easy-to-use mission editor.
- Customizable Soldier Load – Choose your uniform; assemble your weapon kit; change your load-out; get loaded up.
Marek Spanel is CEO of Bohemia Interactive:
We’re happy to bring the next generation of the Real Virtuality engine to life. The increased potential of the engine should allow Arma 3 to become our best-looking, most detailed and innovative military simulation game to date.
The game’s Creative Director, Ivan Buchta, continues:
Our ambition is not only to deliver the next generation of Arma with the improved engine, but also to fully exploit the potential of our new technology in the gameplay. You can look forward to the unique experience of blending sandbox-style combat with a rich story.
playerattack News is a once-a-week wrap up of the biggest news to hit the pages of playerattack. If you’d like to subscribe, you can do that via RSS feed, through iTunes, or if you’d prefer, subscribe to our YouTube channel.