Mortal Kombat: WB to appeal Australian “banning”

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment have confirmed that they are appealing the Australian Classification Board's decision to effectively ban the reboot of Mortal Kombat in that country.

Kitana's folding fans were cause for concern

Kitana's folding fans were cause for concern

The Board felt the violence in the game "exceeded strong in impact", which meant it was unsuitable for gamers under 15 years of age. Due to Australia's lack of an R18+ adult rating for video games, this meant the entire game was Refused Classification - effectively banning it from sale.

At the time, Warner Bros. said they were investigating all of their options, and today have decided to appeal the decision, and effectively resubmit the game.

A Warner Bros. spokesman explains:

After careful consideration Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment Australia have decided to appeal to the Australian Classification Review Board against the RC (Refused Classification) decision given to Mortal Kombat.

After reviewing both the game play and the Board’s original decision WBIE Australia believe the violence in the game is on par with numerous other titles readily available for sale in the Australian market. As such the company wants to exhaust all options to make the game available to Mortal Kombat fans in this country. An identical version of the game will be submitted for appeal.

To clarify - Warner Bros. have confirmed that there is no intention to censor or modify the game - because then it "wouldn't be Mortal Kombat".

According to a Sydney Morning Herald report, Warner Bros. are considering bringing the big guns onboard for their appeal. They are apparently looking to hire Classification Board deputy director Paul Hunt, who has previously been involved in successful appeals for other Refused Classification titles such as F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin (another Warner Bros. title), and last year's Aliens vs. Predator.

We'll keep an eye on the case, and let you know as soon as anything changes.


This story was featured in Episode 5, Season 2 of GamePron News:

GamePron News is a once-a-week wrap up of the biggest news to hit the pages of GamePron. If you'd like to subscribe, you can do that via RSS feed, through iTunes, or if you'd prefer, subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Why not check out our latest vidcast!
Player Attack TV: November 21 2014, SE2 EP41 or subscribe to our YouTube channel.


  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • email
  • Delicious
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Myspace
  • Digg
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon
  • N4G


  • Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook


Get The Latest Episode News
Email Address


9 Responses to “Mortal Kombat: WB to appeal Australian “banning””

  1. […] topic. dotarray writes “Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment have confirmed that they are appealing the Australian Classification Board’s decision to effectively ban the reboot of Mortal Kombat in that country. The publisher has also confirmed […]

  2. […] writes “Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment have confirmed that they are appealing the Australian Classification Board’s decision to effectively ban the reboot of Mortal Kombat in that country. The publisher has also confirmed […]

  3. J says:

    Yep! I had a huge spit about that.. BulletStorm is far worse from what ive noticed and its perfectly fine to be sold in Australia, Seen it on shelves.. but of course, Steam is cheaper.

    There you go, Two things wrong with Australia and Australians wanting to play games… The classification system (board) and the prices on shelves compared to with what people pay via online trading such as Steam.

    Amazing how much S*.T they RC on the OFLC website. .. High Times magazine from 1993…..

    Grrr. Much angst.

  4. R says:

    Whoever makes these decisions is effectively censoring artistic expression in Australia.

    Australia seems to be heading down the communist dictatorshiop path at this rate.

    Complain to the OFLC. Make your voice heard:

    http://www.classification.gov.au/www/cob/classification.nsf/Page/ClassificationinAustralia_Contactus_ClassificationeEnquiry

  5. Bob says:

    The reason Australia has no R18+ game rating ? Religious groups dont want it and threaten to pull their backing from the current government in power if it goes through.

    The reason Australia is probably going to get a mandatory Internet Filter ? Religious groups want it and threaten to pull their backing from the current government in power if they dont get it.

    Does anyone see a pattern here ?

  6. […] Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment decided to re-submit an identical copy of the game for review, claiming that it was no worse than many other games currently on shelves. It seems the Board […]

  7. […] its statement regarding the recent decision on Mortal Kombat. We all know that the game’s appeal was denied, meaning that the upcoming brawler from Warner Bros. remains effectively banned Down […]

Leave a Comment

Article Details

Author Bio:

I like video games and music and cups of tea and noodles and beagles and colour-cycling LEDs.
Like me on Facebook?

Popular Articles

Subscribe to our Youtube channel and get all the latest TV episodes.