Call of Duty: Black Ops in Japan – Subs or Dubs?

While everybody's eyes are on Call of Duty: Black Ops today, we've found an interesting tidbit that may have been lost among the discussions of bots and in-game currency and weapon customisations and theater mode.

If you live in Japan, you'll have a choice of two localised versions of the game - literally, subs or dubs.

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Call of Duty: Black Ops

The subtitled version will arrive on November 18th, so if you're itching to get your hands on a copy - that's probably the way you'd go. If you're happy enough to wait for a month (until December 16th), Square Enix are promising a "major voice cast" has been involved in the fully dubbed version. Both editions will cost the same: ¥7,980

So - why did they decide to go down this path, rather than forcing gamers into one or the other? Democracy at work! The game's official blog shows the results of a survey of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 buyers: 60% wanted English voices + Japanese subtitles, while the remaining 40% wanted Japanese voices. Rather than disappointing a large chunk of the audience, Square Enix (who are distributing the title in the region), decided to hedge their bets and go with both. Personally, I think it's a brilliant idea - more people should do it!

Why not check out our latest vidcast!
Player Attack TV: September 25 2015, SE3 EP30 or subscribe to our YouTube channel.

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • email
  • Delicious
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Myspace
  • Digg
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon
  • N4G
  • Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook

Get The Latest Episode News
Email Address

Leave a Comment

Player Attack Fri 9pm, Aurora

Article Details

Author Bio:

I like video games and music and cups of tea and noodles and beagles and colour-cycling LEDs.
Like me on Facebook?

Popular Articles

Act of Aggression REVIEW: Act of Aggression [PC]

By Kingsley Foreman

Subscribe to our Youtube channel and get all the latest TV episodes.